Born in 1922, Hugh Wyper was a life-long Communist. A member of the National Union of Sheetmetalworkers and Coppersmiths, he was the convenor of shop stewards at the Association of Electrical Industries (AEI) plant in Springburn for some years in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
He was appointed the full time secretary of Glasgow Trades Council in 1963 at a time when the Council had 93,000 affiliated members and became personally active in the TGWU. During the 1970s and early 1980s, he was the Scottish Regional Secretary of the Transport and General Workers Union.
Source: Daily Worker August 10th 1963