Born in born in 1909, Charles Bornat was a professional architect who worked in Plymouth from 1946-50 on the reconstruction of the city, which had been devastated by war-time bombing.
In a similar vein, he was then attracted to the city of Coventry, particularly by the local left-leaning Labour council’s plan for modernistic reconstruction.
Charles was long associated with managing the Queen’s Road premises of the Coventry City Communist Party, of which he was a long-term member.
Charles Bornat died on 17th July 2000, aged 91.
Source: Richard Bornat; Guardian 21st July 2000