|M - O - O|
The Openshaw Socialist Society meeting place, at the socialist hall, was in Margaret street, off the Ashton Old Road, opposite the Alhambra. It was constructed by voluntary labour; with the site starting up in March 1907 and being officially opened on July 20th by John Hodge MP, a Smelters’ Union leader.
At the opening, three inscribed stones were laid at ground level, that of the Openshaw Socialist Society, greeted with the singing of "England Arise!", that of the Clarion Cyclists, accompanied by the "Red Flag", and that of the “Clarion vocal union”, or Choir, to the "Comrades’ song of hope".